Achievements of IDIA Scholars
Yamuna Menon, NLSIU Bangalore, is currently among the top ranking students of her batch. She has scored the highest grade in 6 out of 12 subjects in her first year.
Rinju Kumari, South Calcutta Law College, secured the second highest rank in the Calcutta University in her fourth semester examinations with a whopping 74.4% score. Earlier, she had also topped her batch in her second semester examination.
Namrata Srivastava, NLU Odisha, secured the first rank in her batch in the fifth and sixth semesters, 2014-15.
Christina Maria Charles, KLE Society’s Law College, Bangalore was ranked third in her fifth semester examinations.
- Yugal Jain, NALSAR Hyderabad, has been recruited in 2016 by Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas, one of the top law firms in India.
- Arindam Bhattacharjee, NLIU Bhopal has been recruited in 2015 from campus by Khaitan&Co., one of the top law firms in the country.
- Gudduru Sudheer Reddy, NLU Odisha, was selected for the much coveted internship at Microsoft, India in 2015.
- Karthika Annamalai and Shivam S., WBNUJS Kolkata, were recruited in 2016 from their campus by AZB & Partners, leading Indian law firm.
- Karthika Annamalai, WBNUJS Kolkata, was one of the top 50 participants in the Budapest Forum, the final stage of the Global Debate and Public Policy Challenge (GDPPC) Karthika competed against renowned and accomplished candidates from all over the world to reach the semi-final rounds of this prestigious event.
Moot Court Competitions
- Sarwar Ali, RMLNLU Lucknow, was a quarter finalist at the prestigious Surana and Surana International Technology Law Moot Court Competition 2015, and bagged the 2nd best memorial award.
- Namrata Srivastava, NLU Odisha, won the Best Memorial Trophy in the Kerala Law Academy Moot Court Competition 2015 and represented her university in the C. Chagla Memorial Moot Court Competition 2015 held by Government Law College, Mumbai.
- Shivam S.,WBNUJS Kolkata, was selected to represent India in the prestigious Willem C. Vis (East) International Commercial Arbitration Moot Court Competition His stellar performance helped his team rank top four among hundreds of teams from renowned law universities world-wide.
- Yugal Jain, NALSAR Hyderabad participated at the Surana and Surana Tax Law Moot and bagged the prize of the second best speaker.
Other Co-Curricular Activities
- Yamuna Menon, NLSIU Bangalore, won the 1st National Constitutional Law Olympiad organised by ILS Law College, Pune and Maharashtra Knowledge Corporation Limited (MKCL).
- B.M. Aravind, WBNUJS Kolkata, represented his university at the National Convention for Youth with Disabilities 2013; and wrote about it (read here).
- Gudduru Sudheer Reddy, NLU Odisha, won the best delegation award for their committee at the IDIA MUN 2016.
- Yugal Jain, NALSAR Hyderabad, was part of the team which was semi finalist in NLS ADR competition 2015.
Positions of Responsibility/Leadership Roles
- Yugal Jain has been elected as the President of Student Bar Council 2016-17, Nalsar University of Law, Hyderabad. He has also been selected as the Member of Public Policy Group 2016-17.
- Arindam Bhattacharjee, NLIU Bhopal, is presently the Chief Editor of the NLIU Law Review for the second consecutive year and the Placement Coordinator for his university.
- Donnie Ashok, GNLU Gandhinagar, was elected as the Co-convener of his university’s Legal Services Committee in 2015.
- Johnson Subba, NLU Odisha, was selected as the Convener of the Sports Committee at his university in 2015.
- Namrata Srivastava, NLU Odisha, became the founding member of the Journal on Tax Law; and a member of the Research & Review Committee in the Journal of Contemporary Socio-Legal Issues at her university in 2015.
- Priyanka Hazarika, NLU Delhi, worked as a Senior Field Researcher on the NLU Delhi Death Penalty Research Project under Dr. Anup Surendranath. She has been the Elected Student Representative to the Legal Aid Committee, 2014-2016 of her university for twice in a row. She is also the Team Leader for Child Rights and You (CRY), Dwarka Chapter.
- Yogendra Yadav, NUSRL Ranchi, has been selected at Team Leader of IDIA Jharkhand Chapter for 2016-17.
- Vipan Kumar, RGNUL Patiala and Yugal Jain, NALSAR Hyderabad were appointed as Team Leaders of the IDIA state chapters at their respective universities in 2015 (read here).
- Yamuna Menon, NLSIU Bangalore, is Research Assistant for the new edition of a book titled ‘Misleading Advertisements and Unfair Trade Practice in India : A critical case analysis’ by Prof. (Dr.) Ashok R. Patil (2016) – a significant achievement for a first year student. Her research paper titled “E-wallets : The Contemporary Escrows” was presented at the Liberalization and Globalization Conference (July, 2016).
- Sanjana Roy, HNLU Raipur, authored research papers on (i) Sovereign Debt and Democracy, and (ii) Odious Debt, which were presented at the Cambridge University, and the IISES Conference, Madrid. They were also published in the NALSAR International Law Journal. Another paper authored by Sanjana has been selected for presentation at the International Legal Ethics Conference 2016, at the Fordham University School of Law, New York.
- Shivam S., WBNUJS Kolkata was shortlisted to present his research paper in the prestigious Annual Oxford India Summit, 2014.
- Avadhuta Vamshi Krishna and Narala Chenna Reddy, NLU Odisha, represented their university in the chess tournament at INVICTA, sports festival of WBNUJS, Kolkata. They reached the semi-finals of the tournament.
- Christina Maria Charles, KLE Society’s Law College, Bangalore is a gifted musician and certified music instructor. She composes songs, sings, plays guitar, and piano.
- Donnie Ashok, GNLU Gandhinagar, founded and runs the popular website SuperLawyer.in, where he interviews lawyers who provide career insights to law students.
- Vinatoli Yeptho, WBNUJS Kolkata, performed her slam poem – ‘Five rules for whomever it may concern‘ at National Youth Poetry Slam, and it was very well-received online.
- Four IDIA scholars Yugal Jain, Arepalli Nagababu, Gudduru Sudheer Reddy and Narala Chenna Reddy were selected by the Xavier’s Resource Centre for the Visually Challenged to receive the Tech Mahindra XRCVC Scholarship.
- Nazrul Molla, Gangtok Law College under Sikkim University, was rewarded a laptop by the Chief Minister of Sikkim Mr. Pawan Chamling as a token of appreciation for his sincerity and dedication towards academics.
- Uradi Vishnu, NLU Jodhpur, has been awarded scholarship by NHFDC twice.
- Tuhina Praveen, South Calcutta Law College, has been awarded the Anant Merit Scholarship, and scholarship by Bharat Sevashram Sangha.